Tuesday 30 April 2013

Epiphone Les Paul Special Model - 9 - Masking for Racing Stripes.


At last we are on to the fun stuff... I have marked a centre line and then carefully laid out the middle stripe then I'm using a 6mm piece of tape as a spacer for the outer stripes.


The front is now laid out, the edges of the guitar need some careful laying out as the edge is curved so the tape wants to wonder off line.  It was almost impossible to make the right hand thin strip run around the cut-out so I finished the line on the top and the back as neatly as possible avoiding the issue.


Once the front and back were masked up I put some newspaper over the rest of the body to prevent over-spray.


I wiped the exposed area clean and then tentatively started to apply the Ivory paint in thin coats giving about 15 - 20 minutes between coats.


I paid special attention to the edges and was careful not to spray the paint too 'wet' to avoid runs.


And finally the big reveal!!! Patient masking has paid off, it's important to use good quality masking tape.


The back looks fantastic as well.  I will let the paint cure for 24 hours then start the clear topcoats.

No comments:

Post a Comment