Saturday 25 May 2013

Epiphone Les Paul Special Model - 12 - Polish and Assembly

I felt it was finally time to put the Epiphone Special Model back together so the first job of the day is to cut back the finish with wet and dry sandpaper and then polish to a gloss finish.


I started with 400 grit (wet) and worked through 800, 1200 and 1500 grit all wet with a little soap for lubrication.  I let the weight of the block do all the work.


Once I had finished with the wet and dry paper I went over everything with 'Brasso' and then a car polish and buffed to a gloss shine.


You can see the finish starting to shine through.  Its a lot of hard work but very rewarding!  Then it was time to put everything together...


The finish is beautiful and looks great both close up and from a distance.  It's not totally perfect but the imperfections are tiny and I'm probably just been too critical of my work!


I have fitted new pickups, bridge and tail piece, the switch is brand new and the control knobs are new.  The pots are original as it the neck plate and control cavity cover.


I also replaced the jack socket and cover plate.  I also the 'Rhythm and Treble' ring is new.


The machine heads are new but the nut is original. The vinyl graphics smoothed out great once I sanded the lacquer level on the headstock.


The guitar sounds great with the minimal of setting up.  I have learned a lot painting this guitar and cant wait to crack on with the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment