Sunday 28 April 2013

Telecaster Project - 1 - Template

My ambition is ultimately build my own guitars from scratch.  I started the Epiphone Les Paul refinish project to get a feel for things, understand the skills and techniques I need to develop and practice finishing.  I decided to start by making a template based on Fender Telecaster style guitar.


I found a template on-line, downloaded it and printed it onto A4 size paper, then carefully cut each section out and glued them to a piece of hardboard. (MDF would have been better but this was lying around in the garage).  

Once the glue dried there was a lot of creases.  The lesson here is to use a thicker paper or light card to print the outline onto, or use a spray glue which doesn't wet the paper too much.  I don't think the creases will have too much baring on the final template.


I then used my Jigsaw to rough out the template.  I wish I had been a little more confident and cut closer to the line, I have left myself a lot of sanding and filing.


Using a combination of planes, files and sanding blocks I gradually refined the edges to the outline.


Then I applied filler all round the edge, I can get a better, smoother finish once it has dried.  I plan to varnish the template once its finished and hopefully use it over and over again.

I was looking around the garage and I found a piece of pine about 1 1/2" thick and 4" wide, I figured that I could build a prototype using the pine for the body (with something laminated on  the front to make up the required 1 3/4" body depth).  I cut it into 4 equal pieces and then sanded the edges and glued and clamped it all together.


I will let this set overnight and take the clamps off tomorrow after work! Stay tuned for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment