Tuesday 24 June 2014

DLP Lap Steel Guitar - 5 - Fitting The Hardware

Last night I started laying out for the jack socket, the jack will enter the volume and tone cavity and I know it will be a tight fit but after some careful measuring I know everything will fit OK.


I drilled a 22mm hole into the cavity and test fitted the pots and jack socket just to double check and there is enough room for all the wires.  Next I drilled a hole between the control cavity and the P90 cavity for the pickup loom to pass through.


Everything fits comfortably, the pickup cavity is very tight and will need a little sanding before final assembly.


I then marked up the 6 holes for the strings to pass through as I have decided to have through body strings.  I used a centre punch to make an initial mark then over to the drill press to make the 6 holes.  I just about managed to find a bit that was both the desired diameter and long enough to go all the way through the body.  I barely let the drill bit pass through the body to avoid splitting the back and then drill through from the back to give nice clean holes both sides.


I then set the drill press up to drill a hole in the back large enough to hole the six string ferules, they needed to be flush with the back of the body so as not to rub on the players legs.


On the top of the guitar I screwed a piece of mecano which happens to have six holes spaced almost exactly the same as the P90 poles.  This will stop the strings wearing away the wood at the point where they enter the body and I think it looks kind of cool as well!  I also drilled a couple of holes to mount the bridge and nut.


My final job for the night was to fit the machine heads, I reamed the holes to the correct size and test fitted all six tuners.  I need to sort out the slots on the fingerboard, I plan to glue binding into each of the slots once I've found a way to cut the slots to the correct size.  Then the fret board needs to be attached and I'm ready to string it up.



No comments:

Post a Comment