Tuesday 24 December 2013

DLP Les Paul - 1 - Shaping On The Fretboard

I recently finished a Les Paul style guitar, it was a prototype I made to test different construction methods and different materials.  Specifically the back of the guitar was hollowed out and it was my first attempt at a scarf joint.  While I was making the first neck I also started a second and so I decided to start work on the fret board using my profiling jig.


Put simply the jig consists of 2 pieces of wood parallel to each other and secured to the bench, with another piece between them also secured to the bench.  The profiled block then rides between the two sides and the fret board blank is secured with double sided tape in the middle of the base.


I picked up a piece of mahogany from my local wood yard which was already ripped to about 12mm thickness, much to thick as it stands but with some elbow grease and a little planing I should be able to get it to a usable thickness.


I use a couple of clamps at each end just to ensure the sides stay parallel and the profile block slides up the middle of the track.  After some sanding with 60 grit sandpaper the profile starts to form but not enough material was been removed and the fret board would end up too thick so I planed a couple of mm away and started with the profile block again until I had the thickness I wanted.


The blank is oversize but I will trim it a little and then glue it to the neck once I have installed the truss rod.  I have attached a fret cutting guide with double sides tape marked the fret positions.


It looks like that's all this side of Christmas folks.  Have a great one where ever you are :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment