Thursday 19 December 2013

Telecaster III - 19 - Some Serious Body Work

I have been laying out the top of the Telecaster body and chiseling out the cavities for the pickups and controls.  I plan to fit a P90 as the neck pickup and a single coil in the bridge.  I previously built a telecaster with two P90s and loved the sound from the neck pickup in particular but i wanted to preserve some of the traditional feel of a Telecaster by using a traditional bridge and single coil pickup.


Over the past couple of nights I continued chiseling the cavities remembering to cut out a section at the neck to accommodate an  adjustment rod as the nut to adjust is at the heel of the neck.  I also drilled holes between the pickup cavities and the control cavity as well as a hole for the jack socket.


The only bit I'm dreading is drilling the holes for the strings which I would like to line up perfectly on the back of the guitar.  I will use my drill stand to do this.  I have seen some builders drill from both sides (and meet up in the middle of the body) to keep everything accurate so I think i will try that approach.


I have put a coat of sanding sealer on the back and sides in preparation for the first coats of grey primer I plan to use.  Although I'm waiting for slightly better weather before I start spraying the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment