Wednesday 15 January 2014

DLP Les Paul - 4 - Continuing Work On The Neck


I have now added side fret markers to the DLP Les Paul neck, they are mode from the same epoxy as the markers on the top of the fret board.  I was very careful drilling the holes as I wanted them to come out crisp and sharp like the ones on top.


Next I made my first attempt at creating an inlay.  I took my logo and transferred an outline onto a thin piece of wood and used my Dremel to route away the materiel and then used the same black epoxy putty as a filler.  Once it had set for 24 hours I sanded everything smooth, applied a thin coat of wood stain and then a couple of coats of sander sealer to fill the pores.


I glued the piece to the head and then sanded the overhand smooth.  This makes the head about 16.5mm thick which is a little more than the 15mm standard so i will have to source some machine heads which will work with the thicker head.  I need to file out the slot for the nut and create a recess to allow access to the truss rod nut.

No comments:

Post a Comment