Monday 20 January 2014

DLP Les Paul - 5 - Neck Pocket and Control Cavity

Last week I made a template to use to route the neck pocket.  I carefully drew an outline around the neck on a piece of MDF and transferred the centre line onto the template.  It was east enough then to line everything up and route the pocket.


There is a 3 degree slop from the centre of the body to the neck end and I could have routed the pocket to the same angle but instead I sanded the neck itself to match the angle.


It took several passes to get the correct depth, taking about 4mm each pass to ensure no tear out.  A little fine tuning of the pocket gives a nice even contact all round, not too tight as there will be a couple of layers of primer and lacquer in the joint eventually.  This will be a bolt on neck not a glued in neck.


Once the neck pocket was complete I turned my attention to the control cavity.  I created another template and routed out to a depth of about 20mm leaving a lip around the edge of about 2mm to sink the cover flush.


Once again I took several passes to complete the route, the template is attached with double sided tape.


I then used a forstner bit to drill holes to accommodate the pots at the correct depth and angle relative to the front of the body.  I chiseled a recess next to each hole to match the shape of the pots.  This will also stop them turning!


Finally I made a cover out of a piece of unused printed circuit board.  I will paint this to match the body and it comes pre-shielded!


Next on the list is the pickup cavities and the switch hole and cover.  I also have to drill the holes for the bridge and tailpiece and the hole for the lead as well as all the holes to join the wires so still plenty to be getting on with!

No comments:

Post a Comment