Thursday 18 September 2014

DLP Les Paul - 11 - Trying to Finish the Finish

I have been leaving the DLP Les Paul hanging in the garage for well over a month since I last applied lacquer so at the end of last week I started wet sanding the body.  I don't trust myself with courser grades of wet and dry sand paper as it's so easy to sand straight through the lacquer so I have come in at 2000 grade wet and dry from the start.


So it means a lot more work but I would rather be safe than sorry at this stage.  Straight away I noticed a lot of sunken areas in the grain, small valleys sitting below the general level of the rest of the paint.  The are not cracks in the paint of lacquer but it just seems that the previously smooth surface has sunk!


 Also an are on the side had actually bubbled, so I had no choice other than to sand through the lacquer and paint back to bare wood and respray the side.  It's quite obvious that the wood had not dried out completely leaving moisture trapped under the layers of paint and lacquer.



I masked the body and sprayed the side with black paint and let it set for a couple days before feathering the edges.  I will need to spray several coats of lacquer over the resprayed area but before I do that I want to flatten as much of the existing finish and respray lacquer over the whole body.


Hopefully if I put enough lacquer over the whole body it will fill in all the voids and give me a nice surface to flatten and polish.  Not ideal but practical!


No comments:

Post a Comment