Saturday 2 April 2016

Telecaster IV - Finishing off a forgotten project

Well it's been quite some time since I posted here so I think I best update you all on what I've been up to since I last put an update on way back in September 2014!

Firstly I haven't been completely away from luthiery, in fact I finished a Telecaster project I'd had under the bench for some time now.  I had a blue body but was never quite happy with the finish. However in the end I decided to put the guitar together anyway using up various spare parts I had lying around.


I pondered the idea of using a white pickguard and then something a little more unique but in the end I dismissed both of these options and instead made a scratch plate myself.  Another issue was the bridge as the only spare I had was one I had 'weathered' for a previous relic project however in the end I didn't use it.


So rather that buy a new bridge I decided to spray it instead, however looking around the workshop the only colour I found was bright red! So now it's time for something completely different! Don't say I didn't warn you!

So the black custom pickguard closely matches the shape of the horn and also is cut to sit tight against the bridge and control plate, there are no screws retaining the neck pickup, this is packed with sponge to the desired height.  The neck is maple and I replaced the chrome volume and tone control knobs with black ones. 


 I flattened the neck and leveled and redressed the frets, the action is as low as I could get it without too much buzz and the guitar is lovely and easy to play with a nice twang.  It is a unique looking guitar and I;m glad I finished it now as it frees me up to start thinking about new ventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment