Monday 4 November 2013

Another Ukulele Project - Fitting The Machine Heads

Tonight I drilled out the holes for the machine heads on the Telecaster ukulele and test fitted them.  I also applied some graphics I had printed earlier in the week.  They are printed using my inkjet printer, then a later of lacquer is sprayed over the print before cutting the graphics out and soaking them in warm water.


The graphics then just slide into place, and with the head already been nice and shiny from all the layers of Tru-Oil they move around easily enough allowing me to position them exactly where I want them.


Tonight I also rubbed the front of the body down again as it had picked up a few knocks while I was chiselling out the cavities for the electronics.  The front of the body will now receive several coats of Tru-Oil over the next week or so.


I also made a nut for the ukulele tonight, I cut out a piece of plastic and ground it down on the bench grinder and it is ready to fit once I have finished with the clear coats and I'm ready to re-assemble.


The final job for the night was to neaten up the wiring.  There was a lot of extra wire from the pickup so I trimmed this and rewired to pots.  Everything fits much neater now and I don't have to worry about trying to squeeze the wires into the control cavity and run the risk of shorting everything out.


I'm really looking forwards to putting some strings on this and trying it out... and then reluctantly handing it over to my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment