Tuesday 26 November 2013

Telecaster III - 12 - Trimming The Fret Board

Last night I set my router up to trim the excess rosewood overhanging the body of the Telecaster neck.  I used a flush trimming bit with a bearing attached to ride along the neck.  


I took my time and did multiple passes both to prevent chipping and because the rosewood is quite hard.


I left a overhang at the body end of the fret board and trimmed this with a coping saw and then sanded it smooth using my drum sander attachment for the drill stand


I now have an Oak neck with an African Rosewood fret board almost ready to have the slots cut for the frets.


I still have some work to do at the head end as i left an overhang here as well.  But the drum sander should make light work of that.


I had almost forgotten that I glued a piece of mahogany the the head so it certainly will be a unique neck when finished.  If you look closely at the image above you will see a wood worm hole!

No comments:

Post a Comment