Thursday 14 November 2013

Telecaster III - 8 - Jig To Cut the truss Rod Channel

Last night I started to create a pair of 'sleds' for my router to run along giving me a curve to cut a concave slot for the truss rod channel on the Telecaster neck.  I had a couple of pieces of pine with a curve already cut in them (from an old bed headboard) but the curve was not the same on each piece and the curve would have cut too deep into the neck anyway so I screwed the two pieces together and started to plane them level.


On doing some research I read the depth of the slot should be about 1/4" deeper at the centre than at the head and heel ends so I made some marks and started removing material from the centre outwards to get the curve I require.


These rails will be used to route the channel from the back of the neck so I will have to glue in a'skunk stripe'.  This is my preferred way at this stage as i will need to make a pretty accurate fillet to fin in the cavity so I may make another set of rails with a concave curve in them to allow me to route from the fretboard side of the neck.  Watch this space!


No comments:

Post a Comment