Monday 4 April 2016

Books for Luthiers and Guitar Makers - Part 2

In part one I listed a few or my guitar making books however I still have a few more to show you so here goes...

Pickup and Electronics



Guitar Electronics for Musicians (Guitar Reference) seemed like a good place to start in building up some knowledge and having as a reference guide.


At some point I would like to start winding my own pickups.  I think the more I make myself then the more unique the sound and feel of my guitars and this will be another step in that direction. I want to make my own winding machine using an Arduino micro-controller to control the speed and count the number of revolutions but until then I'll keep reading The Guitar Pickup Handbook for inspiration!

Archtop Guitars

 I think my luthiery skills are a little way off achieving something like the beautiful atchtop guitars detailed in the 3 books below however this is where i'd really like to be in a couple of years.


Robert Benedetto is a famous name acknowledged as the foremost archtop guitar builder so his book Making an Archtop Guitar was a must have purchase and I have read it cover to cover several times.


I liked the look of Making a Laminated HollowBody Electric Guitar  as it demonstrates how to press laminate into the front and back of a guitar rather than carving them out of solid wood.


Finally I bought Building an Electric Archtop Guitar: An illustrated step-by-step guide to building your own electric archtop guitar  as Benedetto's book discusses building an acoustic archtop guitar and I think I would like to build an electric one when I get round to it.  There are some great pictures in this book and some great tips.


No comments:

Post a Comment