Sunday 3 April 2016

Router Table for Making Electric Guitars

I decided a long time ago that I would like to buy a router table and so I finally took the plunge (excuse the pun!) and splashed out on a Triton table and router.  I had attempted to mount a small router to my table saw as there is a hole in the table top for a router but this proved to be more trouble than it was worth plus I wanted a dedicated router workstation.  I began to look around for inspiration and found it on Amazon where I combined the purchase of a Triton RTA300 Precision Router Table, a Triton MOF001 Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router, 1400 W and a Triton RSA300 Router Stand. I think it was the picture below which sole it for me!


Triton offer 3 compatible routers and I chose the middle option which fitted into my budget and the 3 items cost £425 which comes in at just over £20 a month over 2 years on their 'pay monthly' option.

The legs and table come flat packed so you have to assemble them yourself and the instructions are a little vague but not impossible.  Some of the diagrams are not particularly clear but after a couple of hours I have attached the tabletop to the legs and assembled the fence and sliding board in the top.


There is a good dust extraction attachment and Amazon sell a companion Triton DCA300 Dust Collection Bucket, 20 L which will link to a conventional vacuum or an existing dust extracting system but I plug my vacuum in directly at the moment.

Once I had the top assembled it was time to mount the router to the removable plate.  The plate consists of 2 pieces of powder coated metal which screw together with the addition of some spacers.  The process of attaching the router to the plate is a very simple process and took seconds.  The router itself can be adjusted from above the table however you have to screw the access hole yourself.  This proved to be quite a challenge as accurately drilling through the plate in perfect line with the router was quite tricky. You can connect almost any router to the table and a comprehensive set of adapters is provided so  the manufacturer decided not to drill holes for every combination in the mounting plate, but you would have thought they would have at least marked the top with the location for the holes for their own equipment. 


After some drilling and fine tuning with a round file I was able to slot the winder handle into the top of the router table mounting plate and fine adjust the height easily.  Before the router could be used in the upside down position though the instructions tell you to remove a large spring which was a simple task. There is a sliding fence is fully adjustable complete with planing shims, adjustable slides to hold the work and a clear guard.  There is a sliding table insert with an adjustable protractor and a separate safety mains switch mounted on the right side of the stand.

The router itself is solid and highly adjustable including variable speed control and a handle winder and 3 stop plunge block.  The only disappointment is the omission of a 1/2" colett.  The router comes with 1/2" and 8mm collets but the 2400W model does come the the larger collet.  The 1/2" collet is available though for about £20.

I needed to order some bits so a full review on performance will follow later but for now i'm excited about this purchase and cant wait to get stuck in and see what I can achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment