Thursday 7 April 2016

Books for Luthiers and Guitar Makers - Part 3

For the 3rd and final part of this little trilogy I will show you some of the other books I own, some for technical reference and some for inspiration and others because I just like them!

Workshop Books


It makes sense to have a look like this around, especially with a hobby like luthiery.  I can find myself in the workshop scratching my head on how I and going to achieve a particular cut or looking for a quick way to do something only to realise that someone else has already had the same thought.  That's when I turn to 150 Essential Jigs, Aids and Devices for Today's Woodworker  and find I spend the rest of the day making the jig to suit my purpose.  Of course once a jig has been made it can be reused over and over again.  Any craftsman will probably say the same, it just seems like a lot of work at the time but pays dividends to own a book like this. 

Fun Books

Over the years I have collected a few guitar chord and tab books and most tend to be around a particular type of music, or a certain era like the 60's but The New Complete Guitarist  is a little different been a beginners guide to playing the guitar as well as a nice reference and guitar history book.


The Les Paul Guitar Book: A Complete History of Gibson Les Paul Guitars is a nice reference book with some more great history and some wonderful photographs.  A must for any Les Paul fan and for me a nice reminder of the type of instruments I would like to both own and emulate.


Finally The Rickenbacker Book seemed like a tough book to get hold of at the time and then went missing in my house for several years.  I owned a 330 Jetglow Black 6 string for quite some time and this book is well thumbed from looking at the pictures and reading all about the company and their guitars.  You only have to look at my take on the 'f-hole' on my guitars to see where I get my inspiration from as mine is essentially the Rickenbacker hole upside down!


Thanks for reading, I will undoubtedly add more books to my collection and so maybe I will add another part to this series some day but as most of these books came to me as Christmas and Birthday presents it may be some time before part 4 arrives!



No comments:

Post a Comment