Wednesday 4 September 2013

DLP Les Paul Prototype - 26 - Finishing Neck Carving

Work continues tonight carving the neck.  I continue in the same way gradually taking off material at each end of the neck and then removing the remainder with a block plane.


I keep working to the lines gradually getting closed to the centre line and the fingerboard.


The heel will be carved later, although I have removed some of the material for comfort at this point.


Gradually I am getting towards the centre line and turn to a normal file and sand paper to keep a smooth even profile.


The heel transition always seems to be the hardest bit to carve, a few guide lines help but the difficulty comes in trying to keep both sides symmetrical.


There is a little work to do at the transition point where the head meets the neck.


Lots of sanding required and a little filler which I will put on later, for now I'm concentrating on the heel and the general profile.


With a little filler added I have smoothed down the whole neck ready for a coat of sanding sealer.


Everything is drying, I will leave the neck to dry overnight and sand it back tomorrow.  I might then put another coat of sanding sealer on the neck depending on how smooth everything feels and if the grain looks sealed.


After that I will route the body and think about applying some finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment