Friday 6 September 2013

DLP Les Paul Prototype - 27 - Fret Markers

Today my order of 'Milliput' arrived through the post, It is a two part epoxy putty that can be mixed together by hand then pressed or moulded into any shape before setting rock hard.  I have not used it before but I have read many good reviews about the stuff.  


The trick would seems to be to shape and mould the the epoxy while it is still tacky and then after an hour or so it starts to set enough to easily shape or carve.  While I'm waiting for it to set I have drilled out the truss rod adjustment access and also sanded the neck down ready for another coat of sander sealer.


After a couple of hours I was able to take a Stanley knife blade and carefully scrape away the excess epoxy to minimise sanding.

This gives a great contrast to the oak fingerboard, perfect to spot what fret you are playing in any light!  I will leave this to dry for 24 hours before sanding and polishing the fingerboard.  The more I look at it the more I want to lacquer the fret board and give it a gloss finish like a Rickenbacker fretboard.

Next job is to drill the holes for the tuners in the head.  as well as finalising the work for the head it will also give me somewhere to hand the neck from while I paint it.  Its going to be black to contrast the oak.



No comments:

Post a Comment