Monday 9 September 2013

DLP Les Paul Prototype - 30 - Reshaping the Heel

With the neck cavity cut to exactly half the body depth I took another look at the neck and decided there was still some way to go as the neck was too high against the body and I didn't want to take any more material away from the body for both structural reasons and aesthetic ones.  So I decided to take some material off the heel itself both the reduce the thickness of the neck and to introduce a slight angle.


I clamped the neck between two pieces of flat metal in my workmate and line the metal to two lines I had laid out to removed about 5mm at the end of the neck tapering forwards at a 2.5 degree angle.


This method worked perfectly although a Japanese flush cut saw might have made a slightly neater job than my regular saw!  With so much material removed the neck did not look right and it made it seem way to thick at the heel end.  Also upon fitting the neck into the body I realised I should could have made the heel smaller anyway so I marked up the neck to remove some more material at the heel and generally thin the profile of the neck.


After a short time using my block plane, sand paper and a scraper I had carved a nice profile into the neck.


Once I was happy I sanded the neck with 120 grit sandpaper and then applied some wood filler into a couple of nicks I had made and then mixed some fine grain filler and rubbed this across the grain of the neck.


I will let everything dry overnight then sand this back to see how smooth the neck is and repeat the process until all the grain and bumps are filled and smooth ready for paint.



No comments:

Post a Comment