Saturday 14 September 2013

Paint Shop Not So Pro!

Well I thought it was about time I brought a little colour to my collection of almost complete projects.  It's the first time I have really used my new compressor and spray gun so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  First up is the Stratocaster body, I have some red tinted lacquer to go over the original red. I had previously sprayed this using rattle cans but I just wasn't happy with the finish so this was my first effort... and it wasn't great, I got streaks and runs all over.  I put this to one side, practised a little more and moved onto black.


Next was the Encore Bass guitar which was originally black, I decided to refinish it in the same colour and the body had been primed and prepared.  This time I got much better results.  Practice makes perfect they say.  I sprayed one coat, then left it to dry for about 30 minutes and applied another.  I still had a run but just the one which should be easy to fix.


You can just make out the run on the front of the bass between the neck pocket and the pickup.


I also sprayed the bass neck and the DPL Les Paul prototype neck at the same time.  A couple of coats went on perfectly.  While I had the table out I also sprayed the grill for the back of the Les Paul black.


Finally I turned my attention to the front of the Les Paul.  It was my intention to spray a sunburst leaving the original wood showing through but it wasn't long before I realised I had bitten off more than I could chew and ended up painting the whole front black.  Once again experience and practice is needed here.


All in all I have had a mixed day.  I will correct all the errors I have made today and learn from them as well, lets see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment