Sunday 22 September 2013

Telecaster III - 2 - Continuing The Neck

I have continued refining the Telecaster neck blank today, I have mainly focused on the thickness of the blank and getting rid of saw marks.  Below is the back of the head and the difference between the mahogany and oak is quite obvious but the oak is also quite uneven is grain patten so I think I will make a feature of the wood and wont paint over it. 


The front of the neck shows the same variations very nicely as well.  This oak is very tough and hard trying to remove imperfections is tough on my tools.  One thing I like to use is a cabinet scraper (just a thin piece of rectangular metal really!) and I seem to be constantly turning the burr on it as it wears out so quickly.


I have a piece of African Rosewood ready to make into the fret board. My next job though will be to route a channel for the truss rod.  This should be a pretty neck.


No comments:

Post a Comment