Sunday 8 September 2013

DLP Les Paul Prototype - 29 - Neck Cavity

I want to route the neck cavity today but unfortunately the bearing on the shaft of the bit I use to follow the template has seized.  I don't have a spare bearing (I had to grind the original off the shaft of the bit!) so it was back to plan B, chisel the cavity out.


It's a long process but much more forgiving than using the router.  I used the router template as a guide and scored the edge of the area I want to chisel out.  I also used the template to clamp the body to the bench.


There is still some chipping round the edge of the cavity but the sunburst will hide that later.  I'm about halfway down where I want to be at the moment.


At the exact half way mark I have met the top of the other  piece I used to make the body.  This is great because I can use it as a flat surface to chisel to.  I was going to add a slight angle to the rebate with the router but it will be easier to put the angle into the heel of the neck now.


I have chiselled the cavity out to be tight.  I want the neck to be tight enough to hold the weight of the body without any screws.


Finally we have something that looks like a guitar!

No comments:

Post a Comment